Information about Tagfriendly, the MP3 blog aggregator.

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

A Customized Embedded Player

I spent some time hacking on the Yahoo! Media Player objects to force my own UI.  The results are now up on Tagfriendly.  Good results, I think.  More details are available on my personal blog.

I eventually got to the bottom of my XSPF problems from earlier.  Among other things, YMP executes a GET request to a Yahoo! service that contains the URL to your XSPF file.  It appears the purpose of that service is to do some data transformation.  The result is JSONified markup that gets used by the player.  The problem is that if your XSPF is behind a NAT (like mine) that service cannot retrieve it.

Kind of hokey, but I guess that is the way they roll.  If I take care of delivering a well-formatted XSPF, the YMP should trust me and display the content of the markup.

No comments:

Followers